The Family Farm History
In the early 1870’s, the Hovener family immigrated from Prussia to Ozaukee County, Wisconsin. Within several months Louis Hovener purchased 300 acres to begin a new life and build a new farmstead. Along with wife Sophia and two sons, they prospered and added buildings. A small frame home accommodated the family until 1895, when Louis and his sons finished building the large stone home on the property today.
Due to a fire in the early 1900’s a second barn was built atop the existing barn foundation. The family’s dairy farm met continued success, expanded with a chicken coop/hog shed in the 1920’s. In 1928 electrical service ‘came through’ and an equipment shed was built in the early 1930’s (currently our Admission Barn).
In 1995, the Musiches purchased the farm from Louisa Hovener, the last remaining family member associated with the farmstead.